Friday, February 3, 2012

Wallet Check...

Everyone knows there are common stereotypes about each race. Most of them I like to think are very comical because usually they are no where close to true. I usually feed into those stereotypes because it causes uncomfortable situations for most people. anyway I took a trip to the grocery store today and a few things happened that got me thinking.

First I park my car, I'm walking up the parking lot and I notice a 50-something white lady letting her mom(or older person in her family) out at the car. As I walk toward the cross walk I notice she is letting two ladies(not minority)cross in front of her SUV. I go to walk because I happen to catch the right timing and she puts her foot on the gas to go...DAMN. I mean, you let everyone else go but when I get there you have to go, RIGHT THEN IN THERE? As she drives past I look at her, because I'm upset. Then I thought to myself, what if I just walked up to the old lady you dropped off and just pushed her over. huh, would that be justified. Yet, I just shake my head and keep it moving. As I walk into the store I think, I wonder what went through that ladies head as I walked towards her. Maybe I was intimidating, and she wanted to give the old lady a head start. She should know I'm fast, after all I was born with that extra tendon.

While I'm in the store, I get my groceries. Browse the isles. excuse myself when needed, then go to check out. Walking up to the check out line I'm the forth person in line, and at the time the LAST person in line. As the people ahead of me check out. There is this guy that walks up behind me. Honestly, he reminds me of a dude I would see on Tru TV. So I look back at him, nod. he doesn't nod, back just looks at me with a real tough look. So being the non-intimidating guy I am, my first thought, was to let him go in front of me. I mean he only had two items in his hand. plus he kinda scared me. Then I thought, na, I got this. how weird would it be that i just let this guy get in front of me at the check out for no reason besides he looks like he would kill everyone in this b*T$h for no reason. so instead what do I do...like a dumb ass, i do the "oh maybe I forgot my wallet, oh there it is in my back pocket" check. Then look back at him with a "hey" grin, SHIT. I did it again. now this dude knows, if he starts to snap the hell out, the black dude ain't gone do shit! so I check out and leave.

The whole drive home, I kept thinking to myself... "man, that crazy lookin white dude scared the shit out of me".... I mean, I know I don't have much street cred, but i would have been in the negatives after my poor Afro American showing today.. It also made me think to myself. Black people are just as afraid of white people, as white people are afraid of black people. The reasons may be different but they the fear still is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment